Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Giants Bitchslap Brownies... Gotta Love That

The Super Bowl defending champion New York Giants' starters made the favored to win the AFC North Brownies their bitches in preseason action. Not only that, but Derek Anderson was KO'd by a concussion.

I saw an article on MondesiHouse giving the link to a writer who disagrees that Bradshaw was the all-time Franchise player... Jack Lambert has always been my favorite of the group that I never got to see play except in highlight films, but I wanna know what you fellow members of Steeler Nation think?

Outside of the 70s, the Steelers have had great franchise players to consider as well. Ben Roethlisberger is rapidly becoming the third best QB in the NFL, and I would take him over Peyton Manning any day of the week, so in my eyes, maybe second best. Jerome Bettis is still beloved around here for the 10 Hall of Fame years he gave us. Hines Ward is the all time leading reciever... Those guys are worthy of consideration.

No one ever really talks about all time Coaches or the all time Announcers either... I would like to dedicate a little to them.

Chuck Noll? Bill Cowher? Those two would undoubtedly be the leaders in any poll for greatest Steelers coach. There are two other great coaches worth considering though. Jock Sutherland nearly changed Steeler fortunes in the 40s, but his untimely death on a Pittsburgh operating table after being found wandering in a swamp with a brain tumor dashed what could've been a championship coach's life and career. Buddy Parker is worth considering too. His veteran players led by the swashbuckling QB Bobby Layne kept the Steelers in contention in the late 50s-60s. Layne opined in a interview that he dearly wanted to win Art Rooney a championship, and that all it would've taken would be two or three extra good players. They did win more than they lost in that time though.

I have a soft spot for announcers. I myself was often an announcer for sporting events in school, with my bad back limiting my ability to play anything but dodgeball. Here in Pittsburgh we've had some very colorful announcers.

From the 70s to the 1994 season, the games were called by Jack Flemming and Myron Cope. Flemming is best remembered for making the "Immaculate Reception" call. His deep, sing song voice and professionalism that would verge on true excitement when the Steelers did something great made him the consummate play-by-play man. Cope of course we all love. He was the most imitated man in this city and my impression of him was popular among my friends and would pause their calls for me to do my Scooby-Doo voice. Cope of course is on the team. Flemming passed away in 2001 while Cope just passed in February of '08.

After Flemming retired we got Bill Hillgrove who is currently the play-by-play man, and former Steeler Merril Hoge came in too. The popular three man team stayed intact until Hoge left for a gig on ESPN, and was replaced by the now hugely popular Tunch Ilkin who often humorously warred with Myron with Hillgrove acting as straightman. Craig Wolfley is the sideline reporter, and could very well land a place in the booth soon.

So my question to you is... Who would be your three man team? Would it be Flemming, Cope, and Tunch?... It's up to you.

No comments: